Cats are notoriously private creatures. They are also highly intelligent and require intellectual stimulation. Without a cat tree to provide a scratching area, places to play, and stimulation, your cat may grow bored.
Bored cats love to scratch up and destroy curtains, couches, and more.
Our home has experienced scratched up couches and shredded rugs as a result of a curious kitty that was left without a proper scratching post area.
Refined Feline Lotus Cat Tower
Best Cat Tree in Our Rating
- Comfortable height and design for any interior of an apartment
- Robust design, resistant to any cat movements
- Claw Sisal Coil – Your Pet’s Favorite Item
- Faux suede covers easy to wash and clean from cat hair
Selecting the Best Cat Trees in May, 2023
Lotus Cat Tower
20 x 20 x 69 inches
The Refined Feline
|Premier Cat Play Tree|
20 x 20 x 51 inches
New Cat Condos
CatHaven Cat Condo
26 x 26 x 60 inches
|Simple Sleeper Cat Scratch|
19 x 21 x 37 inches
Molly and Friends
27 x 24 x 73 inches
|Modern Cat Tree House|
21 x 21 x 33 inches
|CozyCatFurniture Cat Tower|
20 x 20 x 52 inches
|Armarkat Cat Tree|
24 x 22 x 53 inches
|Go Pet Club Cat Tree|
15 x 34 x 20 inches
Go Pet Club
|FurHaven Pet Cat Furniture|
28 x 55 x 16 inches
1. Refined Feline Lotus Cat Tower : Most Modern Design
The Refined Feline Lotus Cat Tower blends clean, modern lines with the comfort your cat craves. Our testing team members loved the beautifully simplistic look of the tree and its ability to elevate a cat tree to a beautiful and how it blends effortlessly into your established decor.
The Tower features a sisal pad that is perfectly suited for your cat’s scratching activities.
This option is also very tall, standing at 69 inches which will allow your pet to view their surroundings fully.
- Very tall tower at 69 inches in height, 20 inches in width, and 20 inches deep
- Velcro-attached brown Berber carpet
- Super soft cushions covered in washable faux suede covers
- Clean, modern design is gorgeous
- This cat tree does require assembly and tools for assembly
2. New Cat Condos Premier Cat Play Tree : Easiest to Assemble
The New Cat Condos Premier Cat Play Tree earned high marks from our testing team for being so easy to assemble. This cat tree includes household grade carpet to keep your cat happy and comfy.
Our team felt that the carpet on this option is also longer lasting than some similarly priced options.
The New Cat Condos Premier Cat Play Tree is constructed from solid wood.
- Sisal rope is thicker than other versions providing safety and fun
- Solid wood construction
- Easy to assemble and terrific price point
- Very comfortable for cats
- The top area may not be as sturdy for larger cats
3. On2Pets CatHaven Cat Condo : Best for Larger Cats
The On2Pets CatHaven Cat Condo is the perfect solution for bigger kitties and their families. While some trees are not up to par when it comes to offering a supportive and safe piece of furniture, the CatHaven Cat Condo can support pets up to 32 pounds, comfortably.
Our testing team members also loved that this tree is extremely easy to piece together, as well.
The On2Pets CatHaven Cat Condo lets your pet jump, scratch, stretch, sleep, and hide to their heart’s content.
- Perfect for larger cats up to 32 pounds
- Looks like a real tree
- Easy to assemble without any special tools
- Three perches to cats to relax
- The tree can feel a tad bit wobbly
4. Molly and Friends Simple Sleeper Cat Scratch Post and Bed : Terrific Choice for Smaller Homes
The Molly and Friends Simple Sleeper Cat Scratch Post and Bed fits perfectly into smaller spaces such as an apartment. It stands 37 inches in height and features a base that measures 21 inches by 19 inches, so it really doesn’t take up much space at all.
Our testing team members appreciated having an option that take up less room.
The Molly and Friends Simple Sleeper Cat Scratch Post and Bed blends into your current decorating scheme easily thanks to its beige shade.
- Perfect for smaller homes or apartments
- Minimalistic design with shades of beige
- Thick and natural sisal rope
- Two perches for resting and stretching
- Very busy cats may tear the carpet off quickly
5. Aeromark International Amarkat Cat Tree Condo : Best for Multiple Cat Homes
The Aeromark International Amarkat Cat Tree Condo safely accommodates up to 80 pounds, making it an excellent option for homes with several kitties. The cat tree is constructed from pressed wood and is covered with faux fleece.
Our testing team members loved the accessories included that help to keep their pets entertained.
The Aeromark International Amarkat Cat Tree Condo stands at 73 inches allowing cats to perch up high and observe.
- Very tall at 73 inches in height
- Fleece covering is soft and comfy
- Perfect for multiple cat homes
- Lots of spots to play and rest
- Make sure to follow assembly instructions fully as they can be a tad bit confusing
6. PetFusion Modern Cat Tree House and Tall Scratching Post : With the best design
The PetFusion Modern Cat Tree House and Tall Scratching Post features an interactive design that helps keep your cat active. Increased activity can help in lengthening your pet’s lifespan, and it can help keep them from scratching or tearing up things that are not cat toys, like curtains for example.
This condo has it all from perches to jump spots to scratching spots to kitty entertainment.
The PetFusion Modern Cat Tree House and Tall Scratching Post has a truncated cubby for kitties that enjoy hiding.
- Terrific price point
- Easy to set up
- Interactive design keeps cats busy and happy
- Easy to clean and maintain
- The removable and washable cushion is a very light shade, and we wish it were darker so that it would not look dirty as quickly
7. CozyCatFurniture Cat Tower for Large Cats : Best All Around Cat Tree Option
The CozyCatFurniture Cat Tower for Large Cats is crafted in a stylish and comfortable grey carpet. This cat tree has three different bedding areas, making it a smart selection for multiple cat homes.
The cat condo stands at 52 inches so it will fit comfortably in nearly any home.
The CozyCatFurniture Cat Tower for Large Cats includes a scratching post to entertain your kitty while sparing your couch.
- Awesome price
- Beautiful grey coloring
- Three separate sleeping areas for multiple or picky cats
- Easy to clean and care for
- We loved this option so much that we were hard pressed to find any negative qualities
8. Armarkat Classic Cat Tree B5301 : Best for Older Cats
The Armarkat Classic Cat Tree B5301features an accessible ramp from the ground that leads to a special hiding hole. The ramp would be an excellent option for elderly cats that have trouble jumping higher or for smaller kittens.
This tree is extremely easy to assemble, earning high marks from our testing team members.
This Cat Tree offering from Armarkat includes a faux fleece covering to assist in getting your kitty as comfy as can be.
- The helpful ramp makes climbing up the cat tree simple for kittens or elderly cats
- Very well made and durable
- Easy to assemble
- Includes necessary assembly tools
- Very soft and cozy faux fleece covering
- Ivory shade can be a bit difficult to keep clean
9. Go Pet Club 72-Inch Cat Tree : Terrific Budget Cat Tree for Spacious Areas
The Go Pet Club 72-Inch Cat Tree is a larger cat condo option at a very attractive price point. The tree stands at 72 inches, and the base of the condo is 50 inches by 26 inches.
Our testing team flipped over the ease of assembly for this option.
The assembly instructions are crystal clear and easy to follow. The Go Pet Club 72-Inch Cat Tree has ten posts and 15 levels.
- Budget price
- Perfect for larger homes with multiple cats
- Easy to clean and maintain
- A breeze to assemble
- Somewhat less sturdy than we would like
10. FurHaven Pet Cat Furniture Tiger Tough Cat Tree : Best Budget Price Selection
The FurHaven Pet Cat Furniture Tiger Tough Cat Tree is as easy on the eyes as it is on your wallet. This tree features multiple platforms, a perch, and a cute little house condo.
The scratching posts are wrapped with sisal rope to keep kitty cats’ content.
The FurHaven Pet Cat Furniture Tiger Tough Cat Tree is perfect for intellectual stimulation as well.
- Terrific price point
- Perfect for smart cats thanks to lots of activities
- Lots of color options
- Easy to assemble
- One of the perch’s sits at an angle that makes it hard to sit flush next to your wall
Best Cat Tree – Buyer’s Guide
Cat lovers understand that cats need to scratch. A cat tree is a terrific way to give kitties a place to scratch, perch, play, nap, and more. Finding the best cat tree for your furry friend may turn into a long and arduous chore, however, as there are thousands of versions available.
We learned so much helpful information while reviewing the top cat trees. We have compiled this knowledge into a helpful guide to demystify the process. Let’s take a closer look at the most important features of cat trees.
Do I really Need to Purchase a Cat Tree?
In a word, yes. Cats need to claw and scratch at things. Providing a cat tree is an easy and cost-effective way to satisfy your kitten’s desire to claw and scratch.
Some pet parents may consider declawing their cats as an alternative measure. Declawing is expensive, and it’s also extremely painful and stressful for your pet cat. Buying a new cat tree will allow your cat to scratch and play while protecting your furniture.
Cat condos can be crafted from a variety of materials. Here is a closer look at the various materials used as well as a look at the good and bad qualities of each.
Wood is a wonderful option for bases and limbs. Wood is very sturdy, so it is an obvious choice for multiple cat homes since it can withstand heavier weights and movement. On the downside, solid wood can be expensive and pressed, or particle board wood is cheaper but not as a durable.
PVC Piping has become a less expensive alternative for limbs and perches of cat condos. PVC can be a great choice, but it is less durable and sturdy than wood. It also may not be strong enough to safely support larger cat breeds.
Carpet is a commonly used material in cat trees. Carpet can be terrific for covering perches or adding a soft area to nap or stretch out on. Berber carpet is durable enough to stand up to heavy use while staying cozy enough to lounger on.
There are plenty of options that include faux fur or faux suede coverings. We also found that most cats really love to nap on faux fleece covers as well. Selecting faux material covers saves you money and ensures you can machine wash covers and liners when dirty while still keeping your pet perfectly cozy.
What the Heck is Sisal Rope and why Must my Cat Scratch?
By now, you have seen the words “sisal rope” and “scratching” multiple times on our top ten cat tree list. We want to take just a moment to explain what sisal rope is and why it’s important. We’ll also take a closer peek at why scratching is such an important cat activity.
Scratching is an imperative and essential part of your kitten’s health both physically and mentally. Scratching allows your pet to mark her territory due to scent glands in her paws. Scratching also allows your pet to stretch.
Cat trees with scratching posts allow your cat to have an outlet for this completely normal and necessary activity. Make sure that scratching posts are tall and sturdy, so cats can stand on their hind legs to fully reach up. It is also important to be discerning about the covering on the scratching post.
Sisal rope and sisal fabric are amazing for allowing your little friend to scratch to their heart’s content. Sisal is biodegradable, strong, tough, and very durable. This option allows cat claws to move through without becoming caught up on fibers which is a common problem with carpet-based scratching posts. Sisal also feels very similar to natural bark which will satisfy your critters most primal urges leaving your couches and curtains unscathed.
What Size Cat Tree Do I Need?
Cat trees can be found in a plethora of sizes and shapes. Think about the area you plan to place the cat condo in. It’s helpful to pre-measure the area to have an idea of the size you can accommodate.
If you have only one smaller cat, you can purchase a smaller cat tree. If you have several cats or very large breeds, you’ll need to select a larger option with several perches and hiding spots. If your cat is very active, you may want to select an option with lots of activities and toys.
Fancy Features for Fancy Cats
Cats are extremely curious and adventurous animals. That is part of what makes them so charming and fun to have as a pet. The right cat tree will include some fancy and fun extra features to keep your kitty happy.
- Tunnels: If your cat enjoys diving into boxes and bags, a tunnel can be very fun. Most felines love to crawl into a den-like space. A cylindrical tunnel can offer a safe place to hide and zoom through.
- Scratching Posts: We can’t stress enough how important scratching posts are. Trust us; your furniture will thank you.
- Toys: Hanging toys such as a dangling rope of a ball can allow your pet hours of entertainment. This feature is important for pet parents that work outside of the home. You can rest easy knowing that your cat is entertained and happy playing for hours on end.
- Perches: Perches are platforms that allow cats to jump and leap from one spot to another. This feature can help satisfy your cat’s innate need to sit at the top of a tree to survey their surroundings.
- Hiding Holes: Many cat tree’s include places for your cat to hide or to sleep in. Cat usually like to sleep up off the ground so finding a cat tree with a raised bedroom/hiding hole is a great way to allow them to feel secure while napping.
- Hammocks: Some cat trees include a hammock. Many cats love to stretch and lounge on hammocks. A hammock also allows them to easily spy on their human friends from a comfy resting spot.
- Ladders or Ramps: A ramp or ladder can be extremely helpful. Older cats may want to jump less especially if they suffer from arthritis. Baby cats can lose their balance easily, so a ladder or ramp is helpful in allowing them to develop balance while allowing them to play, explore, and learn.
Finding the best cat tree for you and your favorite feline doesn’t need to be a headache. Keeping the space allotment, needs of your pets, and overall budget in mind will make the process easier. And don’t forget to select a cat tree with a heavy-duty scratching post crafted from sisal rope or sial fabric. Without a scratching area, your cat will most likely turn to your furniture for comfort with disastorous results.
We hope you enjoyed our reviews of the top cat trees and our guide to buying the best cat tree for your favorite kitty. Hearing from our readers always brightens up our day. Leave us a line below with your favorite cat tree options below.
My cat likes very much a tree that I bought him! CatHaven Cat Condo looks like a real tree and it makes it a great piece of interior. Recommend this tree for everyone who wants not only to make a gift to a cat but to make a gift to yourself.
I’ve made a mistake having bought a cat tree with a carpet. My cat is like a disaster and he quite soon turned a new tree into ruins. I don’t know what to do as it makes the room look disgusting but I don’t have money for another one.
I consider New Cat Condos Premier Cat Play Tree as the best cat tree just because my cat spends hours playing with it. And this is the most important thing for me to look at.
It’s very hard to find something minimalistic for a cat. All trees and houses seem to be bright and don’t fir the interior. But when I saw CozyCatFurniture Cat Tower I understood this is the option for me. I like how it looks like and how my cat actively uses it on an everyday basis.
The problems with cat trees are the same as with cat houses – they look bad in the interior. But I’ve looked through this site and it seems like I’ve found what I was searching for.
Cat trees are always not very pretty and make the interior looks awful. But I’ve found CozyCatFurniture Cat Tower which perfectly fits our Scandinavian style. If the look of cat toys is important for you, you should probably buy this option.
I bought Simple Sleeper Cat Scratch Post and Bed just because of the design, but I see that my cat really likes this tree, so everything is perfect. If you’re looking for a beautiful option, take this one, it looks the same as in the picture.
Having ugly cat equipment at home isn’t my cup of tea, but I finally found the option I really like – it looks like a part of the interior that’s why I’m happy about my choice.
My cat loves only real trees, that’s why it was useless to buy a fake tree on the internet. Can you imagine, that the cat ignores it? I’m a little bit shocked.
Just look at the CatHaven Cat Condo and you’ll understand why I consider it’s the best cat tree on the market. The design and the whole look transforms the room and gives it a better look.
We have two furry friends at home. They always could not share a place on the dresser, so I had to order such a tree. We have a Tiger Tough Cat Tree, by the way. Cool stuff! Cats are happy
The Aeromark International Amarkat Cat Tree Condo is a cool little thing! My cats have had it for a year, but, strangely enough, they still haven’t bothered with it.
Creating an exquisite interior in my house is my favorite pastime. I strictly observe that everything is combined with each other, and the high price doesn’t stop me. The Refined Feline Lotus Cat Tower is just wonderful and perfect not only for my lovely pet, but also for my interior
We have the cat tree beside the closet door, so it was important for us that we find out where the width didn’t interfere with opening the closet door, and it just fits into our space. Aeromark cat tree is the best attraction for our cats
Aeromark’s material is covered in is definitely soft and plush. It reminds me of a micro velvet throw blanket I own and that my cat naps on at every opportunity.
The surface of CatHaven Cat Condo is carpeted, so it makes a great scratching post too. And he naps up there all the time. I’m so relieved to see my cat have a place to call his own – he seems so much happier. I wish I’d bought these as soon as I moved.
CatHaven Cat Condo is fantastic! It looks nice in our room and are a wonderful way to give the cats a perch by the windows.
How many inches from the first/floor platform to the second platform of Armarkat tree? I would like to put it at my 23″ high window sill where his cat door is.
My tower measures 10 1/2 inches to the first platform and another 13 inches to the second. I hope that helps.
Armarkat is a fantastic cat tree. I wanted to wait a while after I purchased it to write a review. This tree is Mr. Darcy’s pride and joy. I’ve had the tree for about a year now. It’s was easy to put together and I couldn’t keep my kitty off of it even while I was assembling it.
I recently purchased this Armakat Cat Tree after months of thorough research, comparison, and going back and forth. In the end I trusted my initial instincts and chose this one. I couldn’t be happier. WE couldn’t be happier. Everyone in the house agrees that this was a great purchase and well worth the investment.
Our cat loves her new perch. “Molly and Friends” is very sturdy and stable. She is a small-medium sized cat and uses both “resting” spots although the top one is her favourite where she enjoy looking out of the window at the birds, squirrels, etc. The scratching post is also long enough for her to get a full body stretch and she uses it a lot.