With the dog days of summer quickly approaching, spending time with family and pets is one of our favorite ways to pass the time. Playing outside or in the hot weather can make even the cleanest pooches start to become a bit stinky.
Giving your dog a good scrub down with a specifically made for animal shampoo can help keep Fido smelling as fresh as a daisy.
With so many different dog shampoos on the market it can be difficult finding the best option. We tested and reviewed the top ten dog shampoos to find out which versions are effective and which options should just be poured down the drain.
1. Earthbath All Natural Pet Shampoo : Best for Pets that Suffer from Allergies
The shampoo is made from natural ingredients that will not irritate your pet’s skin.
The shampoo is soap-free relying instead on coconut-based cleansing, which will leave your pet’s coat shiny and fresh while comforting sensitive skin.
2. Miracle Coat Dog Shampoo : Perfect for Pets on the Go
This option is delivered as a rinse-less solution that is simply sprayed on.
The Miracle Coat Dog Shampoo does not need to be rinsed off. Just spray onto your pet then massage the shampoo into a lather.
3. Pro Pet Works All-Natural Oatmeal Dog Shampoo : Best Option for Dogs with Allergies and Sensitivities to Food, Grass, or Flea Bites Specifically
The Pro Pet Works All-Natural Oatmeal Dog Shampoo is a wonderful option for dogs, rabbits, cats, and ferrets. The shampoo has been PH balanced to soothe and protect your pet’s sensitive and delicate skin.
Our testing team was thrilled by the performance of this option as it kept our pet’s coats fresh while also moisturizing their skin.
4. Wahl Dog & Pet Gentle Puppy Shampoo : Best for Puppies
Our testing team was thrilled to find a shampoo that not only works well, but that is super gentle on young pup’s coats, skin, and eyes.
The Wahl Dog & Pet Gentle Puppy Shampoo lathers quickly and rinses away easily. The scent is a lovely light and fresh smell that complements any dapper dog.
5. Fresh ‘n Clean Lambert Kay Scented Dog Shampoo : Best Budget Dog Shampoo Option
This budget-priced selection was a hit among both our testing team members and our canine companions thanks to its long-lasting scent. The shampoo smells amazing and will keep Fido feeling fresh for weeks.
The Fresh ‘n Clean Lambert Kay Scented Dog Shampoo earned high marks from our testing team members thanks to its formula.
6. FURminator deShedding Ultra Premium Dog Shampoo : Best for Breeds that Shed Large Amounts of Hair
Some breeds like Huskies or Pomeranians can lose copious amounts of the hair once or twice a year.
Getting the hair out properly to prevent mats, tangling, and huge fur piles on your floors is of the utmost importance.
- Packaging may vary. Furminator deShedding Ultra Premium Shampoo
- Works to reduce shedding
- Promotes healthy skin and coat
- Enriched with Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids, Calendula Extract, and Papaya Leaf Extract
- Use monthly as part of the Furminator at-home professional grooming regiment
7. Adams Flea and Tick Cleansing Shampoo : Best Option for Pets Living in Areas with Flea and Tick Problems
Fleas can be a problem in almost any area, making this shampoo a smart purchase for pets in any geographic locale. Our testing team members were thrilled at the ability of the shampoo to clean and protect pets.
8. Vet’s Best Hypo-Allergenic : Excellent Selection for Dogs with Sensitive Skin
The shampoo has been specifically formulated to nourish and moisturize your dog’s skin without stripping away natural oils. It is also hypoallergenic and soap-free.
9. Rocco & Roxie Dog Shampoos for All Dogs : Best for Growing Beautiful Coats
The shampoo includes aloe vera extract, chamomile, and rosemary, among other items blended with cleaning your pup’s skin and coat without stripping away natural oils.
Our testing team members were thrilled at the performance of Rocco & Roxie and how well it works. The Rocco & Roxie Dog Shampoo for All Dogs is free of harmful substances such as dyes or drying alcohols.
10. Veterinary Formula Solutions Triple Strength Dirty Dog Concentrated Shampoo : Best All Around Dog Shampoo Selection
The Veterinary Formula Solutions Triple Strength Dirty Dog Concentrated Shampoo understands that most dogs love to get dirty. The shampoo has been meticulously formulated to deliver powerful results in a gentle manner.
Our testing team was shocked to find that this shampoo delivers on its dirt repelling promise as it really keeps our pets cleaner for longer time spans.
The Veterinary Formula Solutions Triple Strength Dirty Dog Concentrated Shampoo smells amazing and will get and keep your dog smelling beautifully for longer.
The Best Dog Shampoo Buyer’s Guide
There are thousands of pet shampoos on the market. Each shampoo claims to be the best which can make picking the best dog shampoo for your pet a difficult process. While reviewing our top ten dog shampoos, we learned a ton of helpful information which we want to pass on to you. Let’s get started!
What Are the Benefits of Purchasing and Using a Dog Shampoo?
Your dog has sensitive skin and a coat with special needs. Even the bravest and largest dogs need pampering now and then. Finding the right shampoo will protect their skin and hair while keeping them smelling fresh.
Some dogs may be predisposed to looking dirty. Silkie coated breeds can start looking dirty and oily quick. Light and white coated dogs are also harder to keep looking clean and pristine. Eye tear stains can also be an unsightly and uncomfortable issue that requires washing as well.
What Are the Different Types of Canine Coats?
Understanding the different types of hair or fur that your pet has is important. Once we know what type of coat a pet has, we can understand how best to care for it. Let’s take a closer look at the different types of coats found on dogs.
- Long Coat: Long coated pets grow out and will need to be groomed periodically. The hair needs to be moisturized to stay soft and shiny. Examples include Afghan Hounds or English Sheepdogs.
- Short Coat: Short coated pets have hair that lies closely to the skin. The hair may get oily or dirty faster. Dobermans are an example of a short coat dog breed.
- Double Coat: Double coated pets have longer, silkier hair in addition to an undercoat filled with thicker, more dense hair. An example of a double coated pet would be the Pomeranian.
- Curly Coat: Dogs with curly coats include the Poodle and Bichon Frise. Their hair is curly and therefore may be predisposed to becoming tangled and matted.
- Hairless Dogs: Some dogs are classified as hairless. Their skin can be extremely sensitive and requires moisturizing care. Examples include the Chinese Crested and the Mexican Hairless Dog.
This list is not exhaustive, so your pet may have different needs. Always explore your pet’s specific breed or observe their coat closely. A little research and planning will make cleaning your dog’s hair much easier and far more effective.
Key Considerations for Selecting the Best Dog Shampoo
Let’s examine the crucial points to consider when shopping for pet shampoo.
Differences in pH
Pets have a different pH balance than humans. For this reasoning, you shouldn’t use your own shampoo on your pet. A dog has skin that is more acidic at a pH range of 6.2 and 7.5 while human skin is at a pH level of 5.5.
If your pet is exposed to the great outdoors, then they are also exposed to insects. Some pests such as fleas and lice love to burrow into a dog’s hair and skin. Ticks can cause Lyme disease, thus bringing on a plethora of health problems. Using a dog shampoo that has been specifically formulated to deal with fleas, lice, and ticks can make your pet healthier and happier.
Just like us, pets can have itchy skin, dandruff, and allergies. Allergies to food, dander, or other elements like grass or pollen can cause your pooch to feel very uncomfortable. This situation can lead to flaking and scratching. A formulated dog shampoo can moisturize your pet’s sensitive skin and clean away allergens while protecting their coat.
Different Versions of Dog Shampoo
- Puppy Shampoo: A gentle formula that won’t irritate sensitive skin and eyes.
- White Coat: A brightening shampoo that takes extra care to gently brighten and clean white and light coats.
- Medicated: Includes ingredients to combat fleas, ticks, lice, or other pests.
- Conditioning: Great for keeping longer coats smooth and free of tangles or mats.
- Deodorizing: Keeps pets smelling fresher and can help when a pet gets sprayed by a skunk or into something stinky.
Bath Time Tips
Here are a few tips and tricks to make bathing Fido easier than ever.
- Most dogs need a bath around once a month.
- Dogs with oily hair and skin, such as Basset Hounds, could need a good scrubbing once a week.
- Some breeds like the Basenji bathe themselves and rarely if ever, need a bath from their human owners.
- Brush your dog before their bath. This is especially helpful for double coated breeds like the Pomeranian or Husky.
- Use lukewarm water to avoid burns.
- Talk in a calming voice to reassure your pup.
- Wash them twice. The first wash is a quick one, and you don’t have to rinse completely. The second wash is much more thorough, working the lather into the coat and skin fully.
- Rinse the shampoo out of the coat for twice as long as you think you need to. This will ensure the shampoo is totally rinsed away.
- Do NOT use your hairdryer on your pet. Towel dry, then let your pet shake off excess water and air dry. You can also buy a pet hair blow dryer that is made just for pets.
- Give your dog a treat afterward for being so well behaved while getting cleaned up.
Just like us, your dog has skin and hair that must be cleaned and cared for. Shampooing your dog doesn’t have to be a huge headache of a chore. Understanding the needs of your pet’s skin and hair will make selecting the right dog shampoo a breeze.
We hope you had fun exploring the top ten dog shampoos and learning about dog shampoo in our buyer’s guide. Hearing back from our loyal readers always brightens our day. Drop us a quick note below with your favorite dog shampoo and any helpful pet bathtime tips you have.