Gone are the days of animals only being welcome at home. Many hotels now allow pets to accompany their families on vacations or business trips.
However, traveling with your fur baby presents a unique set of challenges. From keeping them safe in the car on a road trip or ensuring they have a safe space to relax at night, purchasing a portable, soft-sided travel crate quickly solves many of these conundrums.
If you love to travel, and you also love your pets, a soft crate can simplify the issues related to traveling with them. There is a wide array of options available from simple versions that open with a flick of the wrist similar to a child’s play tent to sophisticated luxury models that include safety harnesses and fancy bedding.
We’ve examined the top brands available and created a top ten list including our favorite choices. We’ve also included a helpful buyer’s guide to help you decide which features are most important for you and your furry family member.
Selecting the Best Dog Travel Crates in December, 2019
32 x 23 x 23 inches
91.4 x 24 x 27 inches
EliteField 3-Door Folding
36 x 24 x 28 inches
|Pet Gear Generation|
36 x 24 x 27 inches
|2PET Foldable Dog Crate|
32 x 23 x 23 inches
|Dog Soft Crate Kennel|
36 x 27 x 24 inches
35.8 x 22.8 x 24 inches
K&H Pet Products
|Go Pet Club Soft Crate|
42 x 30 x 37 inches
Go Pet Club
|Soft Side Pet Crate|
36 x 24 x 23 inches
|Petsfit Travel Pet Home|
36 x 24 x 23 inches
1. Petnation Port-A-Crate E2 Indoor : Best for Pets That Travel Often
This durable enclosure features a steel frame endoskeleton and is crafted from a heavy-duty tightly woven mesh, providing monumental strength and durability.
Air flows easily through honeycomb mesh windows to keep your pet comfortable.
2. NOZTONOZ Sof-Krate Indoor : Great Option for Larger Breeds
It is fast to set up and breaks down in seconds.
This option is a terrific choice for people that travel with their pets or want an easy to move crate to use at home.
3. EliteField 3-Door Folding Soft Dog Crate : Best for Road Trips
It is lightweight, making it a lovely choice for families that often take road trips.
This crate is easily placed on the floorboard, the back seat, or in the cargo area making it perfect for keeping Fifi safe while on the road.
4. Pet Gear Generation II Deluxe Portable Soft Crate : Best All Around Choice for Home Use or Travel
Made from a sturdy steel frame, this carrier also features a 600 denier nylon cover that is both removable and machine washable.
It arrives with a waterproof mat and a fleece pad to keep your fur baby as comfy as can be.
5. 2PET Foldable Dog Crate – Soft : Best for Chewers
This sturdy option is crafted from steel tubing and an Oxford 600 denier cover.
Mesh window panels allow your pup to enjoy the sights, sounds, and smells as they relax.
6. Arf Pets Dog Soft Crate Kennel for Pet Indoor Home : Great Option for Crate Training at Home or While Traveling
It’s easy to set up and collapse down.
The Arf Pets crate has three different entry points, making it a versatile choice.
7. K&H Manufacturing Classy Go Soft Crate : Best Budget Option
This model is super simple to assemble, and it folds down quickly.
It also comes with a handy storage bag to keep it out of the way when not in use.
8. Go Pet Club Soft Pet Crate : Perfect for Small Pets
This option is a basic model, with one entry point and a domed style ceiling.
It includes a sheepskin mat and a carrying case as well.
It’s water resistant to keep Fluffy or Fido dry and comfortable in case of any rain.
Additionally, the hygienic floor resists odors in case of any accidents and it is super easy to clean.
10. Petsfit Indoor/Outdoor Soft Portable and Foldable Travel Pet : Most Versatile Option
It also arrives with a machine washable, soft fleece pad that is super cozy for dogs to nap on.
This option is best suited for medium-sized breeds that stand up to 23 inches tall.
Best Dog Travel Crates – Buyer’s Guide
As pets become more like family members, it has become more common to bring them with on trips rather than leaving them at home or boarding them. The quality of soft travel crates has improved steadily in recent years. As a result, the market has been inundated with a vast array of crates from basic models to those that have tons of exciting features.
Sorting through the many different types of crates can be frustrating and confusing. We’ve done the groundwork for you by researching the ins and outs of the most popular styles of crates currently available. We created this handy guide to assist you in finding the best option for you and your furry friend.
What is a travel crate for dogs?
Travel crates are soft sided. They usually are extremely easy and fast to set up and break down. They are also usually constructed from a metal frame that can fold up and mesh or fabric linings. This makes for easier cleaning and allows your pet to receive fresh air while inside.
Why do you need a travel crate?
Since so many animals are now crate trained, it makes perfect sense to select a lighter, soft-sided, more manageable model for use while traveling with your fuzzy buddy. These crates are versatile, lightweight, and comfortable. A travel crate is perfect for any family that travels often or is always on the go.
Soft crates are a wonderful option for some dogs, but may not be the best idea for every pet. So, how can you choose whether to purchase one? There are a few key rules to keep in mind.
• How often will you be using the carrier? If it gets a lot of use, you may want to select a more durable model that maximizes comfort while traveling
• Is your dog or cat especially aggressive? A soft-sided travel crate might not be the best idea if Fluffy loves the claw at fabrics or if Bingo loves to chew on anything and everything. Soft carriers aren’t as well suited to these pets and won’t last very long when subjected to lots of scratching and chewing.
• Does your pet have anxiety? Some pets use their crate as a safe space when they are scared or feeling anxious. These animals may prefer a travel option that includes a nice, soft mattress pad to curl up on.
• What type of traveling will it be used for? Airlines have specific requirements and guidelines t follow for flying pets. Road trippers may have different needs such as a way to properly and safely secure the carrier in the cargo area or the seat of the car.
Pro’s of purchasing a Travel Crate
• A comfortable way to travel: Many pooches adore their soft sided crate because they are extremely comfortable to lounge in.
• Less stressful for owners: The purchase of a travel carrier allows you to take your pets more places with you while reducing worries of their safety and comfort.
• Less stressful for pets: Many soft crates have sides that allow your pet to watch the world as they drive past and offer a great solution for not wanting to drag a heavier, more cumbersome version crafted from metal or plastic. Your pet can feel safe in their carrier while enjoying traveling.
• Stops pet accidents: A travel crate is also excellent for those instances where your pet can’t make it to the next rest stop. Animals have smaller bladders and can’t understand you when you tell them the nest rest area is in 15 minutes. A crate is easy to clean when your pet has a potty accident while traveling.
Key Considerations in Selecting the Right Travel Crate
• Size: You need to pick an option that is large enough for your pet to stand up and turn around while in the crate. If you have a puppy, you may want to go with a larger model so it will accommodate them as they grow into their adult size.
• Material: Look for items constructed from a lightweight yet durable frame material such as aluminum or steel. Both options are light enough to make carrying and set up simple. These durable metals will also be able to hold up to the wear and tear exerted on a travel carrier. You’ll also need to make special considerations for pets that like to chew.
• Bedding: Some versions arrive with a soft bed pad or mattress. Others do not so you will need to purchase one separately if your pet likes to lay on softer bedding.
• Cleaning: Many choices have a removable liner that can quickly slip off the frame and thrown into the washing machine with your other laundry. Some require the use of a sponge and gentle cleansing products. Be sure to carefully read through the product descriptions to ensure that any cleaning needs will fit in with your current routines.
• Cost: Cost is always a factor, as you should select a mo0del that is affordable yet not cheaply made.
• Comfort: Your pet needs to be comfortable and enjoy being in their new travel crate.
Choosing the Right Size for Your Furry Friend
Regardless of whether your new travel carrier is for a dog, cat, or any other animal friend, you want to be certain they will fit in it nicely so that they can be comfy and cozy rather than crowded and miserable. Measuring your pet is easy when you follow these simple steps.
1. Measure your pet from the tip of the nose to the end of their tail, if they have one. Add an additional two to four inches to this number to ensure maximized comfort.
2. When examining the options for width, keep in mind that your animal will need to be able to turn around in the crate.
3. Measure the height from the ground up to the tip of your pet’s head or ears so that they can stand up as needed while inside. When in doubt it’s better to go up a size larger instead of selecting a too small option that will leave Fido cramped and squished.
Some crates have a specified weight limit, so remember to consider that number as well. You can quickly weigh your pet by standing on a scale while holding them. Then weigh yourself separately, subtracting that number from the first. You’ll be left with your pet’s weight.
Keeping your specific needs, preferences, and details about your pet’s size in mind while looking at different options is an easy way to be sure you’ll pick the perfect travel crate for your dog. There are so many wonderful options, and you are sure to find a soft sided crate that keeps your furry companion happier and safer. Please leave us a comment below with your favorite travel crate options or a fun story about traveling with your pet.