Keeping our dogs happy and entertained is an important part of being a pet parent. Finding the best dog toys to keep your pup happy and safe is a crucial task.
Some toys may work well for fetching but not as well for chewing, so selecting the best toy can be stressful and confusing.
We tasked our testing team to test and review the top ten dog toys on the market.
Selecting the Best Dog Toys in April, 2020
KONG Wobbler Interactive
7.5 x 5.1 x 5.1 inches
|Nylabone Big Chew|
7.6 x 3 x 3 inches
SmartPetLove Snuggle Puppy
12 x 6 x 3 inches
|Wobble Wag Giggle Ball|
5.5 x 5.5 x 5.5 inches
|West Paw Design Zogoflex|
9.5 x 9.5 x 1.8 inches
|Cozies Dog Squeaky Toy|
9 x 3.5 x 8 inches
|Interactive Food Dispensing|
4.4 x 4 x 4 inches
|Haute Diggity Dog|
4.4 x 2.4 x 1.9 inches
Haute Diggity Dog
|Real Flavor Wishbone|
7 x 1.5 x 4.8 inches
|Dental Chew Petit|
7.9 x 4.2 x 1.2 inches
1. KONG Wobbler Interactive Treat Dispensing Dog Toy : Best for Obsessive Chewers That Also Love Snacks
The KONG Wobbler Interactive Treat Dispensing Dog Toy is a wonderful toy that can entertain your pet for hours. The KONG Dog Toy is crafted from a heavy-duty rubber that is resistant to being damaged or destroyed.
Our testing team members were thrilled to find an option that stands up to the most obsessive of chewers.
The KONG Wobbler Interactive Treat Dispensing Dog Toy can be opened easily with a twist off top. Treats can be added before reapplying the lid.
2. Nylabone Big Chew : Best for Use After Surgery or to Keep Wounds Clean
The Nylabone Big Chew keeps even the most aggressive of canine chewers happily entertained for hours. Unlike other chew toys that quickly fall apart, the Nylabone lasts thanks to its tough and durable composition.
Our testing team was stunned at how much longer lasting the bones are when compared to generic versions.
The Nylabone Big Chew is available in several sizes and shapes. It is also offered in chicken, bison, or flavor frenzy taste profiles, so your pup is sure to love one.
3. Smart Pet Love Snuggle Puppy Behavioral Aid Toy : Best Dog Toy for New Puppies
The Smart Pet Love Snuggle Puppy Behavioral Aid Toy is a breath of fresh air for owners of puppies. Puppies can have a rough time adjusting to their new home since it is likely the first time they have been away from their mom or littermates.
The Smart Pet Love Snuggle Puppy Behavioral Aid Toy works to reduce the unwanted behaviors associated with anxiety such as whining or barking.
The Smart Pet Love Snuggle Puppy Behavioral Aid Toy mimics the heartbeat of a fellow dog right down to the pulsations and heat.
4. Allstar Innovations Wobble Wag Giggle Dog Toy : Best for Very Active Pups
The Allstar Innovations Wobble Wag Giggle Dog Toy is the perfect toy for active pets that love to play. As much as we would love to stay home with our pets all day, we still need to go to work and take care of other responsibilities.
The Wobble Wag Giggle toy entertains and delights your dog when you aren’t around, so you’ll know they are still happy.
The Allstar Innovations Wobble Wag Giggle Dog Toy makes noises that will keep even the crankiest pets happy.
5. West Paw Design Zogoflex Bumi Tough Tug-O-War Toy : Best for Tug-O-War Champions
The West Paw Design Zogoflex Bumi Tough Tug-O-War Toy will make your tugger the happiest pup on the block. The toy is water-ready so that it can be used at the beach, the pool, or the lake. It also stretches out to two times its normal size, making it perfect for tugging games.
The West Paw Design Zogoflex Bumi Tough Tug-O-War Toy earned high marks from our testing team members thanks to its genius design.
Many tugging toys break easily or the plastic cracks, making it unsafe for your fuzzy friend to chew on or play with.
6. KONG Cozies Dog Squeaky Toy : Most Versatile Dog Toy
From a monkey to an elephant, your favorite canine is guaranteed to find a new friend to fetch.
The KONG Cozies Dog Squeaky Toy was a hit among our testing team member’s pooches.
7. OurPets IQ Treat Ball Interactive Food Dispensing Dog Toy : Best Dog Toy for Curious and Brilliant Pets
The treats will fall out of the ball as your pup lays with and rolls the ball around on the floor.
The OurPets IQ Treat Ball Interactive Food Dispensing Dog Toy twists apart so that you can add in treats or for fast cleaning.
8. Haute Diggity Dog Muttini Bar Collection : Perfect for Fancy Pets with Discerning Tastes
The Haute Diggity Dog Muttini Bar Collection turns every hour into a happy hour. The super cute toys resemble popular drinks with dog-centric names including La Croix (Lick Croix), Dom Perignon (Dog Perignon), and Corona Beer (Grrrona).
Each name has been changed to a pet-friendly and hilarious version.
The Haute Diggity Dog Muttini Bar Collection will not only entertain your fuzzy friend, but the toys will also delight you and your family with their cute and pun-filled names.
9. Benebone Real Flavor Wishbone Dog Chew Toy : Best All Around Chew Toy for Pets
The Benebone Real Flavor Wishbone Dog Chew Toy relies on canine anatomy to provide a chew toy that is easier to hold since dogs lack thumbs. The toy has a wishbone design that lets your pet hold the toy easily with their paws.
Our testing team members were ecstatic to find an option that is easy to hold and that our pets love the taste of.
The Benebone Real Flavor Wishbone Dog Chew Toy is offered in three flavors: Real bacon, real chicken, or real peanut.
10. Nylabone Dental Chew Petit : Best for Teething Puppies or Dog’s that Need Cleaner Teeth
Our testing team was happy to find something puppies like to chew on almost as much as shoes and other items they should not be chewing on.
Best Dog Toys – Buyer’s Guide
Keeping your dog happy and healthy is an important part of being a pet owner. Finding the best dog toy for your faithful friend can seem overwhelming. There are hundreds of thousands of dog toy options currently on the market, with new options being added daily.
Choosing a dog toy doesn’t have to be a nightmare. While researching and reviewing the top ten dog toys, we gained a lot of helpful knowledge. We want to pass that information on to you, our loyal readers. Let’s get started!
What are the Benefits of Dog Toys?
There are many benefits that come along with playing with toys. Let’s take a closer look at why toys are so important.
Playing allows your pet to move around and get some exercise. Exercise is crucial for both pets and their parents. Physical movement helps to promote a healthy weight, amuses your pup, and help to ward off serious illnesses such as diabetes.
Animals love to play. Playing with your dog provides mental stimulation, which can help to prevent them from destructive behavior. When pets aren’t mentally stimulated, they can get bored and resort to chewing up shoes or other unsavory acts.
Protecting the dental health of your pet is another key consideration. Toys that also clean teeth are amazingly helpful in removing tartar and plaque. This option is easier and much less expensive than taking your dog into the vet for a professional cleaning.
Save Money on Household Expenses
Bored dogs love to get into trouble. From destroying your favorite pair of sneakers to shredding the curtains, our testing team has a plethora of tales involving bored dogs tearing the house apart.
The purchase and use of dedicated toys for your dog can eliminate their desire to chew on things that should be left alone. It is much less expensive to buy a few toys instead of replacing expensive items like a chewed-up sofa (yes, that really happened).
Tips for Selecting the Best Dog Toy for Your Pampered Pooch
Let’s examine some tips and tricks to finding your pet’s new favorite toy.
- Observe your dog’s behavior and preferences. You already know what kind of disposition your caring canine has. Take a closer look at what they enjoy chewing on, flavors they seem to be especially fond of, and what games they enjoy. Some pets love to play tug-o-war while some are quiet chewers. Understanding how they like to play will make picking a toy much more straightforward.
- Carefully examine the toy. It’s always helpful to look closely at any toy or treat that you plan on giving your pet. There could be a tiny piece about to break off or other issues that could harm your pup. Nylabones, for example, are meant to be chewed on but not eaten. If it starts to fall apart, it should be replaced with a new one.
- Variety is the spice of life. Don’t pick just one toy. Give your pet a few toys to choose from. Just like us, they enjoy a new toy and can grow bored with the same one day after day. Keeping them playing with a revolving variety of toys will stop boredom (and destructive chewing) in its tracks.
How Many Toys Does My Dog Actually Need?
Purchasing a variety of toys can help to keep your dog happy and occupied. We suggest selecting four or five toys for your pet. You can play with them on a revolving schedule or simply keep them in a toy box and allow your dog to pick which to use.
Just like us, dogs can get tired of repetition and will be excited to have a few toys to choose from rather than just one. It is also helpful in case a toy breaks as you’ll have backup toys to appease your furry friend.
Safety Tips for Dog Toys
Keeping your dog safe and healthy is your top concern. Here are some helpful tips to ensure your doggy stays in good health and mood.
- Select toys that are an appropriate size for your pet. Toys that are too small or too big could spell disaster.
- Steer clear of toys with small parts as they can be choking hazards.
- Avoid toys with sharp edges that could cut or harm your pooch.
- Resist the urge to play fetch with very heavy toys. This action could hurt or injure your pet.
- If your pup loves to rip stuffing out of stuffed toys, you should check to make sure they are not eating the filling.
- Keep an eye on your pet as they play so that you can quickly help them if they get hurt.
- Closely read the list of ingredients to ensure that all of them are pet-safe and non-toxic.
- Avoid toys that have been filled with beads or beans.
- Don’t let your furry friend chew on children’s stuffed animals. They are not meant for pets and could have harmful components.
- If you have a dog with neck problems or back issues such as a herniated disc, skip playing with tugging toys as it could aggravate their condition.
- Rawhide toys can be very dangerous to your pet’s health and well-being. They can cause intestinal blockages or choke your pup so we recommend skipping them.
Finding your pup’s new favorite toy can seem like a daunting task. There are thousands of dog toys currently enlarging an already oversaturated market. Understanding your pooch’s likes and dislikes while keeping their size in mind will be beneficial in finding the best dog toy.
We hope you enjoyed reading our reviews of the top ten dog toys and that our buyer’s guide was informative. Hearing from our readers always brightens up our day! Drop us a quick comment below with your favorite dog toys and any tips for keeping your pet entertained. Happy shopping!