Playing with our dogs is one of our favorite ways to spend time bonding with our pets. Some of our dogs are so obsessed with fetching balls, sticks, and other toys so much, that they could play for hours and hours.
We can’t always keep up with our pets though and we can’t always throw the ball as many times as they would like. So, we decided to find the next best option, a ball launching system.
Finding the best dog ball launcher for your needs can seem like a difficult process. To help simplify the process, we reviewed the top ten dog ball launchers after rigorous testing with our playful pups.
iFetch Interactive Ball Launchers for Dogs
Best Dog Ball Launcher in Our Rating
- Not heavy but robust with excellent design
- Adjustable throwing distance: 10 to 40 feet
- Powered by rechargeable battery
- no special balls needed, just plain tennis balls
Selecting the Best Dog Ball Launchers in January, 2023
|1. IFetch Interactive Ball Launchers||10.5 x 8 x 7 inches||6.2 pounds||iFetch|
2. IDOGMATE Dog Ball Launcher
|10 x 10.5 x 13.5 inches||8.3 pounds||IDOGMATE|
3. All for Paws Interactive Automatic
|8 x 12.5 x 13.5 inches||11.2 pounds||AFP|
|4. PetSafe Automatic||12 x 13.5 x 13.5 inches||9.1 pounds||PetSafe|
|5. Paws & Pals Automatic||15 x 10 x 18 inches||9.11 pounds||Paws & Pals|
|6. Playball Automatic Ball Launcher||11 x 15 x 18 inches||8.6 pounds||Couch Potato|
|7. GoDogGo Fetch Machine G4||7 x 0.2 x 9 inches||5.6 pounds||GoDogGo|
|8. Nerf Dog Tennis Ball Stomper||16 x 5.5 x 6.5 inches||10.47 pounds||Nerf Dog|
|9. KARMAS PRODUCT Interactive||13 x 5.5 x 6.5 inches||2.2 pounds||KARMAS PRODUCT|
|10. Etna Gotcha Talking Dog Fetch Toy||9 x 8.5 x 6.5 inches||1.8 pounds||Etna|
1. IFetch Interactive Ball Launchers for Dogs : Best for Bigger Dog Breeds
The launcher sends standard sized tennis balls soaring to lengths of 10, 25, or a whopping 40 feet. There’s even a “random” setting that switches up the length to keep your pet guessing how far it will go.
2. IDOGMATE Dog Ball Launcher : Luxury Launching Option for Larger Breeds
It is somewhat pricey but hi launcher is fitted with some pretty fancy features.
Our testing team members were thrilled that this option comes with a remote control.
3. All for Paws Interactive Automatic Dog Ball Launcher : Best Wide Pet Ramp Option
The launcher works with balls measuring less two- and one-half inches in diameter. Our testing team loved how easy to use this option is.
The All for Paws Interactive Automatic Dog Ball Launcher includes three tennis balls to get you and your fuzzy friend started having fun immediately.
4. PetSafe Automatic Ball Launcher Dog Toy : Best All-Around Ball Launcher Selection
The PetSafe Automatic Ball Launcher Dog Toy is an automated ball launching machine. While it is somewhat pricey, this ball launcher earned our top spot as our top choice of the week.
Our testing team was beyond excited that this option includes free interactive training to teach you and your pet to use it safely and correctly.
5. Paws & Pals Automatic Dog Ball Launcher : Best for Modern or Minimalist Design Schemes
The Paws & Pals Automatic Dog Ball Launcher features a multi-pay design to keep pets happy. The launcher can throw balls to 10, 20, or 30 feet. The toy also houses a treat compartment for pups that like snacks.
The Paws & Pals Automatic Dog Ball Launcher includes three tennis balls to get you and Fido playing straight away.
6. Playball Automatic Ball Launcher by Couch Potato : Best Ball Launching System for Smaller Pups
The Playball Automatic Ball Launcher by Couch Potato offers a ball launching option for smaller dogs. The launcher sends balls flying to three different distances so your pet will not become bored. Our testing team members love using this option both inside and outside.
The Playball Automatic Ball Launcher by Couch Potato uses 1.5 inches in diameter balls, so they are easier for smaller pets to play with. The light-up settings are super easy to see and read.
7. GoDogGo Fetch Machine G4 : Safest Option for Dogs
Our testing team loved using this option and were thrilled that it includes a remote control. The GoDogGo Fetch Machine G4 features an excellent safety precaution.
8. Nerf Dog Tennis Ball Stomper : Best Budget-Priced Ball Launching Selection
The Nerf Dog Tennis Ball Stomper is our favorite budget-priced option this week. It is crafted from thermoplastic rubber making it extremely sturdy and durable. Our testing team was excited to find a lovely option at a bargain price.
The Nerf Dog Tennis Ball Stomper launches balls to an astounding 100 feet. We really appreciate how simple this launcher is to use. One of our testers has shoulder pain issues so this launcher was a welcome blessing.
9. KARMAS PRODUCT Interactive Ball Launcher for Dogs : Best for Busy Pet Parents
The KARMAS PRODUCT Interactive Ball Launcher for Dogs features an automatic shut off. This setting is especially helpful for busy dog moms and dads in case you forget to switch it off yourself. The launcher can be run on six C size batteries or with the included power cord.
The KARMAS PRODUCT Interactive Ball Launcher for Dogs launches tennis balls that measure less than two inches.
10. Etna Gotcha Talking Dog Fetch Toy : Fun Ball Launcher with Talking Feature
When your dog brings the ball back it says, “good dog” which helped our pets learn to use the launcher. The Etna Gotcha Talking Dog Fetch Toy can be used both indoors and outdoors. It runs on four C size batteries or an included power cord.
The Best Dog Ball Launcher – Buyer’s Guide
Once the idea for a dog toy that launches balls for them to chase was first born, many companies began developing their versions. As a result, the market has become filled with many different versions. Finding the best dog ball launcher for you and your fuzzy friend can quickly become a terrible chore.
Finding the best dog ball launcher can be an easy process though, we promise! We created this helpful shopping guide after testing the launchers to explain the important details you need to know to make a successful purchase. Let’s get started!
Do I Really Need a Dog Ball Launcher?
There are many positive benefits to owning a dog ball launcher. The toy is an excellent way to help your pet achieve and maintain their highest level of health ever. They will get physical activity to help them stay at an appropriate weight and keeps their joints and bones healthy. They’ll also receive mental stimulation which can help dogs to be happy and well-behaved.
Key Considerations for Buying a Dog Ball Launcher:
- Size: Your pet’s size will help you to determine what machine to pick. Smaller dogs will need to use a ball launcher with smaller sized balls. Big dogs can use larger, standard size tennis balls more easily since they could potentially choke on the teeny balls. Always triple check to assure the launcher you decide to buy is rated for the size of dogs you have at home.
- Pet’s Health Status: Overweight pets and those that are very active would do wonderfully with a dog ball launcher. Even pets with anxiety can learn to use it and play. If your pet is especially skittish it may take them a while to warm up to the ball launcher, but it can make a positive and lasting difference in their behavior.
- Location: Will the ball launcher be used inside or outside? If you want to use it in multiple places, select a version that can use batteries. Inside only needs a power cord. Using a launcher with both options to allow you to customize the power source based on where you’ll be playing.
- Safety: Keeping yourself and your pet safe is top priority. If you have children or older pets, you may want to choose a launcher with added safety measures that keep the balls from flying at pets or people.
How Do I Teach My Pet to Use a Ball Launcher?
Feeling stressed that your dog won’t be able to use a ball launcher? Here are our best tips for training your pooch to use a dog ball launcher.
- Introduce the ball launcher to your dog. Start by letting your pup sniff and explore the new toy. They might be a bit afraid of the ball launcher at first. Take your time to introduce them to the launcher until they are calm and relaxed around it.
- Now that Fido is comfortable around the dog ball launcher you can begin teaching them to use it. Allow your canine companion to watch as you turn the launcher on and place a ball in it. After the ball launches, watch your pet’s reaction. If the dog retrieves the ball and brings it back to you, offer them a treat.
- Let your dog get adjusted. Now that your pet is getting more confident in fetching the ball, direct them to drop the ball into the launcher on their own. When they successfully complete the task, give them a treat.
- Learn from the mistakes. If your pup is confused or refuses to return the ball to the launcher. Show them exactly where to drop the ball into the launcher and remember to supply lots of treats. You can begin changing the settings and playing in different areas as well.
- What if my pet won’t use the launcher? We found that almost all dogs liked playing with the dog ball launcher. However, not every pet will like everything. We recommend thinking about your pup’s personality to ensure that a dog ball launcher is something they will be interested in playing with.
As always, keeping you and your family safe is our top concern. Let’s take a peek at some helpful tips to keep your pets and your family safer.
Training your playful pup to use the automatic dog ball launcher must also cover safety tips and measures. The last thing anyone wants is an injured pet or child. The ball launcher can be especially dangerous if not used correctly and safely. The balls shoot out at a force strong enough to really hurt if you are hit by one as one of our testing team members learned.
Teaching your pup where to wait for the ball to be launched is key. Teach them to stand away from the launching portal. Never let your dogs or kids stand directly in front of the launching zone. If you have small children, do not use the launcher near them to avoid accidental injury.
Take your pet’s leash off. Also, avoid wearing scarves or baggy items as they could become sucked into the launcher. You should also tie back long hair in a ponytail or bun to be extra cautious.
Until your dog becomes completely comfortable using the automated dog ball launcher, watch them closely. You should also try to watch experienced ball launcher using pets while they play so that you can intervene if anything goes wrong. It can only take a moment for an accident to happen.
Selecting the best dog ball launcher for you and your furry best friend can truly be a walk in the park. Just keep your dog’s size and any health concerns in mind while reading product descriptions to be sure you get the perfect model. Don’t forget to refer back to our training and safety tips so you and Fido can safely enjoy the ball launcher together.
We hope you enjoyed our reviews of the top ten dog ball launchers and that our buyer’s guide was helpful. We love hearing back from our readers! Please consider leaving us a quick note below with your favorite automatic dog ball launchers and any awesome training tips.