Rewarding our puppies with a treat is one of the highlights of our day. Selecting the right treat for your pampered pooch, however, is not nearly as much fun.
Rawhide treats are a popular choice but finding the best one for you and your pampered pooch can be a real headache. With thousands of rawhide-based treats for dogs available on the market, finding the perfect option may seem difficult.
Best Bully Sticks 100% Natural Bully Sticks
Best Rawhide for Puppy in Our Rating
- Natural composition will not cause digestion problems for your pet
- The amount of sticks in a pack to choose from 4 to 12 pieces
- Robust packaging that will not tear during shipping
- One stick is enough for several days
Selecting the Best Rawhide for Puppies in August, 2020
1. Best Bully Sticks
3 x 93x 11.2 inches
Best Bully Sticks
|2. Pet 'n Shape Chik 'n Skewers|
2 x 9 x 11.2 inches
Pet 'n Shape
3. Golden Chews Natural Rawhide Chips – Premium°
3 x 3 x 2 inches
|4. Green Valley Treats|
1 x 6 x 11.2 inches
Green Valley Treats
|5. Pet Magasin Natural Rawhide Chips|
11 x 2 x 7 inches
|6. Natural Rawhide Chips|
4 x 4 x 2 inches
Top Dog Chews
|7. Baxter Boy Rawhides for Dogs|
1 x 9 x 11.2 inches
|8. Good Buddy Usa|
3 x 2 x 5.5 inches
|9. Dingo Peanut Butter Twist Sticks|
5.8 x 0.4 x 8.5 inches
|10. Pet 'n Shape Duck Hide Twists|
2 x 9 x 11.2 inches
Pet 'n Shape
1. Best Bully Sticks 100 Percent Natural Bully Sticks : Best Rawhide Alternative for Puppies
The Best Bully Sticks 100 Percent Natural Bully Sticks are created from beef that is free-range and grass-fed. This tasty treat is also helpful to your pup’s help which is always a top concern for pet parents.
Our testing team members appreciate that the bully sticks help your puppy to clean their teeth and stimulate healthy bone and gum development.
2. Pet ‘n Shape Chik ‘n Skewers : Best for Chicken Lovers
All ingredients have been strenuously tested to meet the highest standards to give your pet a safe and yummy treat. Our testing team members were thrilled to find a grain-free option made with real chicken.
The Pet ‘n Shape Chik ‘n Skewers provides a terrific source of protein for your puppy. They arrive enclosed in a resealable canister to keep them fresh. The canister also has a cute handle on top, so you can definitely reuse it for other purposes after your doggy has finished the treats.
3. Golden Chews Natural Rawhide Chips : Best for Multiple Pet Homes
The chips are completely natural without any additives, dyes, chemicals, or artificial colors. Our testing team was happy to find a safe and healthy rawhide option for our furry friends.
The Golden Chews Natural Rawhide Chips are a tasty treat that will keep your puppy occupied. We had great luck in getting our pets that enjoy chewing up shoes to switch to these treats.
4. Green Valley Treats American Rawhide Sticks for Small Dogs : Best for Smaller Dog Breeds
Finding Rawhides for smaller pups can be tough so these treats were a huge hit among our testing team members.
The Green Valley Treats American Rawhide Sticks for Small Dogs understand that just because a dog is smaller it does not mean that they do not still want a challenge.
5. Pet Magasin Natural Rawhide Chips : Wonderful Option for Medium and Large Dog Breeds
Our testing team members were also happy o learn that the rawhides have an extra-long shelf life of three years making them perfect to purchase in bulk.
6. Natural Rawhide Chips for Dogs : Best for Pet Parents that Like to Buy in Bulk
Our testing team members also appreciate that these chips are not processed with bleach or any other hazardous or potentially harmful chemicals.
7. Baxter Boy Rawhides for Dogs : Best for Aggressive Chewers
The Baxter Boy Rawhides for Dogs are the perfect solution for aggressive chewers! Our testing team members understand what life is like with a pup that loves to chew. These rawhides are specifically crafted for dogs that can chew through normal rawhides in mere seconds.
The Baxter Boy Rawhides for Dogs is an excellent way to clean your pet’s teeth and freshen their breath simultaneously.
8. Good Buddy USA Rawhide Braided Sticks : Best Braided Rawhide Treat
The Good Buddy USA Rawhide Braided Sticks are a lovely braided option. The braiding helps to provide longer-lasting entertainments. Our testing team noticed that our dog’s teeth were very clean after consuming this rawhide option.
The Good Buddy USA Rawhide Braided Sticks are an all-natural treat made from USA cattle. The chew will keep puppies and older dogs busy while also freshening their breath. For smaller dogs, we unbraided the rawhide and trimmed it into smaller pieces which worked wonderfully.
9. Dingo Peanut Butter Twist Sticks : Best All Around Rawhide Chew
The Dingo Peanut Butter Twist Sticks earned top marks this week from our testing team members. The treats combine all-natural chicken and peanut butter to create a tantalizing rawhide that few dogs can ignore.
Our testing team members were thrilled by how much our dogs love these tasty treats and how economically priced they are.
10. Pet ‘n Shape Duck Hide Twists : Best Duck Rawhide Selection
The duck filets are sourced from the United States so you can rest comfortably in knowing the meat is safe. Our testing team members were astounded by how much our dogs loved the flavor of these treats.
The Best Rawhide for Puppies – Buyer’s Guide
Rawhide treats are a popular snack for our canine friends. There are so many different versions and brands available that picking the best one for you and your dog’s needs can be overwhelming. You want to choose a quality product that fits into your budget and lifestyle.
While we were testing the top ten rawhides for puppies and dogs, we learned a ton of helpful information. We now want to pass that knowledge on to you, our loyal readers. This buyer’s guide will explain everything you need to know to make an informed decision. Let’s get started!
What is Rawhide?
A rawhide is a long-lasting chewing treat for your dog. They are meant to last a long time before breaking down into smaller, softer pieces. The rawhide is taken from the hides of cattle.
Is Rawhide Safe for my Dog?
There has been quite a bit of controversy regarding the safety of rawhide chews for dogs. This stems from some manufacturers using cattle from slaughterhouses overseas. The issue is that the hides sometimes take a long time to process or are processed with harsh chemicals.
Key Consideration for Rawhide Treats
Let’s take a closer look at the most crucial considerations in selecting the best rawhide-based treat for your fuzzy best friend.
- Freshness: Fresh treats are less likely to contain chemicals. Treats that come from overseas are often heavily treated with harmful substances that can make dogs very sick. Avoid items processed with hydrogen peroxide or titanium oxide.
- Origin: Treats that were manufactured in the USA will be fresher than those from other countries. They are also often safer as there are different precautions that are required here to ensure that the treats are safe for your dog.
- Thickness: The rawhide’s thickness will determine how long it lasts. Thicker rawhides will last longer and are better for more aggressive chewers. Rawhides made from American cattle also tend to be thicker.
Benefits of Rawhide Chews
Let’s take a peek at the benefits of giving your pup a rawhide chew.
Chewing is natural
All dogs enjoy chewing on things. It’s a natural behavior. Giving them something appropriate items to chew on will help keep them from chewing things they should not chew on such as shoes or furniture. I’ve even had a Pomeranian that somehow chewed up spots on our hardwood floor. Giving them a safe rawhide prevents splinters, tummy aches, vet visits, and home repairs.
Anxiety is a real thing and it affects our pets
Many dogs suffer from separation anxiety. They get nervous and even scared without us at home. A rawhide chew keeps them busy and entertained rather than feeling anxious or frightened. They can also be a nice change of pace from dogs that want to play fetch nonstop or to entertain them while you watch a movie.
Teething isn’t just for babies
Puppies lose their baby teeth, just like human infants. Rawhide chews help to stop the pain from teething while also encouraging their adult teeth to grow in properly.
Rawhide Safety Tips
Here are a few safety tips to keep your dog safe when using rawhide chews.
- Rawhides that are not properly sourced or processed could be contaminated, so always double-check to be safe. We prefer options sourced in the USA due to stringent processing requirements.
- Some dogs have sensitive stomachs or may be allergic to the rawhide. Watch out for diarrhea and vomiting and take the treat away if your pet appears to feel sick from it.
- Rawhide can lead to choking if small pieces become dislodged. Keep an eye on your dog while they are using the rawhide and always inspect it before giving it to them.
Purchasing a tasty rawhide treat for your caring canine companion doesn’t need to be a difficult task. Selecting rawhides that have been responsibly and ethically sourced and processed will ensure that your pet remains safe and healthy while chewing. And remember to check your pet’s treats to be sure there are no chocking hazards before giving them to your pet.
We hope that you enjoyed our reviews of the top ten rawhide treats for puppies and dogs and that our buyer’s guide was informative. Hearing back from our loyal readers always brings a huge smile to our faces, Please drop us a quick note below with your favorite activity to do with your dog on the weekends before settling in with a rawhide treat.