Dogs are often described as pampered and it is true that people spend extravagantly on what are essentially peripheral items and treatments for their pets. That said, it can be easy to neglect areas where dogs really could do with some pampering; health being prominent on this list. One can see why because not many dogs relish veterinary visits or even some owner-administered treatments.
If you have ever tried to brush a dog’s teeth, you will be aware that it is not a routine which sets the tail wagging. It is, however, an important part of their well-being.
Neglect those incisors and molars and canines and you will discover that a dog’s dental upkeep is a requirement as urgent as our own. And veterinary bills can be just as exorbitant as dentists.
Fresh Breath by TropiClean
Best Water Additive for Dogs Teeth in Our Rating
- Fully Organic Composition, No Chemistry
- Low consumption, one bottle is enough for many months
- Different volumes to choose from
- Kills pathogenic bacteria and provides a pleasant breath
Selecting the Best Water Additive for Dogs Teeth May, 2023
Fresh Breath by TropiClean
3 x 3 x 10.5 inches
Pet King Brands Zymox
2.5 x 2.5 x 10 inches
|Oxyfresh Premium Pet Dental Care|
7.9 x 2.4 x 2.4 inches
|Dental Fresh Water Additive|
4.5 x 8.8 x 2.5 inches
|Emmy's Best Premium|
3 x 3 x 8 inches
|Dechra Vetradent Water Additive|
2.9 x 2.9 x 7.8 inches
|PETDIARY Dog Clippers|
2.5 x 2.5 x 7.9 inches
|BestLife4Pets Oral Health|
1 x 1 x 3.5 inches
|Petdentist Dog Dental Care Fresh|
2.7 x 2.7 x 9.8 inches
|Arm & Hammer Tartar Control|
1.7 x 1.7 x 5.6 inches
y Arm & Hammer For Pets
1. Fresh Breath Oral Care Water Additive (from TropiClean): Best Water Additive for Fresh Breath
This is a product whose name is no idle boast: Fresh Breath Oral Care Water Additive found favor among those who bought it for their dogs. It has a less chemically-intensive formula than many other products in this market and the inclusion of green leaf tea extract in the mix will win approving nods from those who advocate natural ingredients.
The combination of green tea and chlorophyllin in Fresh Breath bring freshness to the dog’s water bowl and reports indicate the effect on their breath has been very positive.
The manufacturers’ also produce oral gel and healthy snacks which, if combined with this product, will provide further help in keeping a dog’s teeth in good condition and their breath minty-fresh.
- High level of natural ingredients
- Chlorophyllin, green tea and citric ingredients conducive to fresh breath
- Fresh breath lasts for up to 12 hours
- Beneficial for dogs with dry mouths
- A top-selling product
- Only needs a capful for a regular sized water bowl
- For maximum benefit, should be used as a complement
- A small few dissenting voices among testers on the “fresh breath” claim
2. Oratene Brushless Oral Care: Best Water Additive for Enzymes
Oratene Brushless Oral Care is a dental water additive with impressive scientific credentials. In a field where homogeneity abounds, this product’s manufacturers take a more holistic approach by converting the results of diligent research into a winning formula. The formula emanated from the human production line for treatment of Xerostomia (or dry mouth) and has been applied successfully to arrive at this dental water additive.
Oratene contains the patented LP3 Enzyme System which releases enzymes into the water; enzymes which help dogs to break down food and absorb its nutrients, thereby helping to keep their gums healthy and clean.
Devoid of flavor or odor, Oratene adds vitality and protection to the water bowl and is of particular appeal to dogs with an aversion to having their teeth brushed. It can be accompanied by a gel which will enhance the protection.
- Enzymes lead to healthy gums and teeth
- Pump action dispenser offers control
- Helps eradicate dry mouth problems
- Safe for cats if water bowl is shared
- Spray breath freshener also available
- Comparatively expensive
- Doesn’t remove existing plaque
3. Oxyfresh Pet Dental Water Additive: A Best-Selling Water Additive
Oxyfresh is one of the established names in the pet care world and their Pet Dental Water Additive befits their status as a major player with an understanding of dogs’ requirements. This product pursues the goal of fresh breath by neutralizing the bacteria which cause it and just a capful (5ml) added to the dog’s water bowl will suffice.
Oxygene, the patented formula, and zinc combine to not just freshen a dog’s breath but to remove the build-up of plaque and protect gums. The product is endorsed by veterinarians and comes with a 30-day money back guarantee if unsatisfied.
- Patented formula delivers fresher breath
- Safe for cats if water bowl is shared
- No animal testing involved
- Tester-sized bottle also available
- Has been known to cause nausea for some dogs
- Includes sodium hydroxide which may not agree with all
4. Dental Fresh Water Additive: Best Complementary Water Additive
Dental Fresh uses an original formula to produce a water additive clinically proven to whiten teeth and prevent gingivitis (gum inflammation). They have been doing this since 1999 and have a track record which explains why they consistently rank among the biggest-selling pet products.
Complementary Dental Fresh products comprise a comprehensive course of treatment to address all matters dental for dogs (and cats). The self-regulating formula used tackles different aspects of dental concern and can adjust to the requirements of different animals.
- Range of sizes and complementary products
- No sweeteners
- Clinically proven to freshen breath
- Consistently a big seller
- Contains parabens (preservatives)
- Bottle design has proven difficult to open for some
5. Emmy’s Pet Dental Care Water Additive: Best Fresh Smelling Additive
Emmy’s Pet Dental Water Additive brings freshness to your dog’s water bowl. With notes of peppermint and Aloe Vera among the ingredients, that freshness is reflected in the change it will bring to your dog’s breath.
Not just fresh breath either, we received testaments to its ability to fight tartar. Emmy’s acknowledge the struggle it can be to make a dog amenable to toothbrushes and pack their water additive with a formula to alleviate tartar and plaque.
- One-year warranty for satisfaction with product
- Peppermint and Aloe Vera flavorings
- Just add 1-2 capfuls to water bowl
- Contains stevia (preservative) which can have adverse effects
- Tinge of blue to water when added but dye used is safe
6. Dechra Vetradent Water Additive: Best for Fighting Tartar
Another manufacturer using something extra to enhance the credentials of their product is Dechra who harness Biotrate technology to rid dogs’ mouths of biofilm. This diminishes build-up of plaque and tartar as proven by tests where these two unwanted oral intrusions were reduced by 25% through usage of Vetradent.
Undetectable in their drinking water, dogs’ breath has been freshened by the combination of zinc chloride and citric acid which further help to restore their oral pH balance. Vetradent is also popular with cats…convenient in dual-animal households.
- Biotrate technology is proven in tests
- Addresses both breath and tartar/plaque concerns
- Recommended by veterinarians
- Range of other complementary products available from manufacturer
- Not all purchasers report positive results on tartar reduction
- Citric acid may cause some dogs to reject
7. Nylabone Advance Oral Care Water Additive: Best Overall Water Additive
Nylabone’s Water Additive ticks all the boxes for an effective water additive. The manufacturers have been around since 1955 and have applied all the knowledge gained to continually fine tune their products. This water additive comes in three flavors – Ultra Clean, Peppermint and Green Tea – to ensure that dogs find one to their taste.
Denta-C is the name of the blend of ingredients in this liquid which has been scientifically formulated to reduce bacteria-hosting plaque. This combined with Sodium Hexametaphosphate, a scale-reducing additive to reach the Holy Grail of fresh breath and reduced plaque/tartar.
- Denta-C is a clinically proven winner
- Choice of flavors to meet dogs’ taste
- Very inexpensive for a product of this quality
- Long established manufacturer
- Consistently a best-seller
- Dogs with allergies have had problems
- Not advisable for young puppies
8. BestLife4Pets Oral Health for Dogs: Best Non-Liquid Additive
BestLife4Pets provide an alternative to liquid water additives on two fronts: the remedy comes in the form of pills AND they contain no chemicals and are gluten and GMO-free. The 450 pills per bottle are miniscule and should be given between 4 and 10 per day depending on their size. They address all the issues which cause inflammation, plaque and tartar.
What is more, they are derived from a natural plant-based formula and their odorless and tasteless qualities mean that dogs have no qualms about consuming them. The natural ingredients render the pills devoid of side effects while delivering results.
- Natural ingredients
- Gluten and GMO-free
- Can be used with other medicines or diets
- Suitable for all ages
- Tackles stomatitis (mouth sores)
- Contain borax (cleaning material) although minute quantity
- Homeopathic ingredients: handle carefully to preserve homeopathic element
9. PetDentist Fresh Breath Dental Water Additive: Best Natural Ingredients Water Additive
If a product wants to eradicate bad breath in dogs, using natural ingredients is a good place to start from. PetDentist have hit on a formula which contains only herbal elements and lipolytic enzymes (to break down fatty acids) to deliver a more fragrant aroma from dogs’ mouths.
But this additive doesn’t stop at fresher breath because it also treats bleeding gums, the source of much consternation to dogs. With a blend of green tea (without caffeine), Aloe Vera (without latex) and hawthorn extract, it’s little wonder that bad breath is eradicated.
- Natural ingredients
- No dye
- No chemicals
- Easy to use
- Can be used along with other treatments
- Users report issues with the packaging
- Not all dogs will welcome the taste
10. Arm & Hammer Tartar Control Water Additive: Best Teeth Cleaning Additive
Arm & Hammer is a name which requires no introduction in the field of dental care. The knowledge gleaned from over 150 years of keeping human teeth clean is applied with equal success to our canine friends. Their famous baking soda formula is adapted and has acquired a proven record in fighting tartar.
Arm & Hammer also delivers when it comes to freshening dogs’ breath and its usage of natural ingredients helps to eliminate unwanted side effects. Users have reported pretty immediate results when immersing a small amount of the additive to their dogs’ drinking water.
- Part of a range of dental treatment products
- Derived from natural ingredients
- Proven track record against tartar
- Odorless and tasteless to facilitate dogs with sensitivities
- Be Aware
- Contains sorbitol (albeit in small quantities)
Guide to Dental Water Additive for Dogs
It has been estimated that upwards of 80% of dogs over three years old experience periodontal disease i.e. inflammation or infection leading to a weakening or loss of support structure for teeth through a build-up of plaque and tartar. Gums become weaker, bone problems develop, and the dog’s general demeanor may be affected. In turn, the presence of bacteria can inveigle its way into the dog’s bloodstream with consequent problems in due course. Aside from the health issues, there is also the problem of halitosis (or bad breath); something pretty much unavoidable for dogs.
Based on that 80+% statistic and the inevitability of bad breath, it is a given that dogs will encounter dental issues, so this article is not focused on how to recognize them but how to prevent their onset. We also hope to provide advice which will ultimately alleviate any discomfort and/or pain caused by dental concerns…and to improve the animal’s breath. Veterinary advice is to brush your dog’s teeth daily but, as mentioned above, that isn’t always easy. There is, however, an alternative (or an aid) in the form of dental water additives.
What are Dental Water Additives?
Dental water additives for dogs are a relative newcomer to the field of canine dental health. They are often compared to mouthwash for humans and contribute to the arsenal of weapons at the disposal of dogs to fight against dental problems. The ingredients in water additives include organics, mineral salts, and chemical antiseptics. They work to dissect plaque and act as anti-bacterial agents in purifying the dog’s drinking water and strengthening their immune system.
Water additives come in the form of powder or pills or in liquid form which are immersed in the water bowl. Dogs should be amenable to taking them as many are odorless and tasteless for ease of consumption.
Advantages of water additives
- Ability to freshen the dog’s breath.
- Can delay and, in some cases, eradicate the onset of gum and teeth problems such as tartar and plaque.
- Purify the dog’s drinking water and prevent accumulation of bacteria.
- In some cases, will encourage the dog to drink more water.
- Arrest the eventual development of heart, kidney, and liver ailments.
- Reduce the frequency of veterinary treatments.
- Water additives should act as a complement to rather than a replacement for brushing teeth.
- May contain ingredients which disagree with the dog’s digestive system.
- Few can claim complete effectiveness against tartar and/or plaque.
- May merely act as a complement to other dental products.
- Smell or taste (detectable to some dogs) may lead to an aversion to drinking water.
What to look out for in the ingredients
Dogs have a reputation for rarely turning their nose up at whatever is presented to them in a bowl but that generalization masks the eating sensitivities inherent to many dogs. A scan through the ingredients in some water additives may cause mild alarm but rest assured that the ever-vigilant food authorities maintain close scrutiny on their composition.
In the US, pet food products must adhere to federal and state requirements with stringent regulations applied to the ingredients by the Food & Drug Administration (FDA). Elsewhere, in Europe the EU (Animal & Plant Health Agency) and UK (Food Standards Agency) apply similar controls which are continuously monitored.
Still, it behooves us to provide a quick run-through some of the ingredients included in dental water additives which dog owners may need to be aware of lest they impinge upon any known issues with their four-legged friend. Most of the brief analysis below is to provide reassurance before purchase.
Chlorhexidine is classified as a disinfectant and antiseptic which is effective against bacteria and viruses but can have adverse effects when used near the ears, eyes, and mouth of animals (increase in tartar and mouth/gum inflammation). It is now rare to find Chlorhexidine Gluconate in dental water additives any which do are best avoided.
Xylotil is a sweetener but one which has been known to cause stomach problems to dogs which have proved fatal. It is still included in some canine dental products but should also be avoided.
Chlorophyllin is the green pigment in grass which is sometimes found in water additives. It is perfectly OK for dogs and acts as an effective agent to freshen their breath.
Glycerin acts as a sweetener in lots of foodstuffs and while it doesn’t provide any real nutritional benefit, it is non-toxic for dogs.
Sodium Benzoate is a preservative which if taken in excess can be cancerous. However, the amount included in most dental products is very low and it should not be a cause for alarm.
Parabens are preservatives which have been reported to cause skin allergies for some dogs. Tests have proven inconclusive in finding a definite link and the FDA’s take is that the small amounts in dog products should not cause any harm.
Potassium Sorbate is an anti-bacteria agent and is perfectly safe for dogs in low amounts.
Sorbitol is a flavoring agent which is often confused with Xylotil (see above). Sorbitol has laxative properties but only when taken in large amounts. Small quantities are the norm when included in dental water additives and should not be a problem.
After some of the negativity in the ingredients section, it should be noted that the chances of dental water additives actually leading to problems are minimal and that, as advised elsewhere in this feature, they do provide significant benefits to animal and owner. For most products, some careful selection would be rewarded in choosing one which best suits your dog but, to be honest, dental water additives are pretty homogenous.
We hope the task of selecting a dental water additive for your dog has been made somewhat easier by our assessments and testimonials, all based on independent evaluations.
I was skeptical that Pet King could really help that much but tried it anyway. The benefits are gradual – it doesn’t work miracles overnight – but this really works.
Dental Fresh is very efficient in terms of 1 lid per litre of water. This presentation is; in proportion to the other 300ml much more economical in relation to the product. If my pet’s breath improves by gingivitis!!!